8-8-8 MANIFESTO OF NEW URBAN FORM
A new urban form is in need urgently and experts in relevant areas have discussed and experimented with different ways to solve humanities’ most pressing problems. Although some methods have remitted some issues more or less, still we have not been able to eliminate the urban crisis.
That’s why we hope Vertical City will be the new urban form that can solve our problems. “If it is properly designed, a Vertical City provides its residents with a sense of belonging to a community and most importantly, it is easier and less costly to maintain and operate.” A well designed Vertical City will address concerns in three areas – Environmental, Formal, and Socioeconomic/Political – and will achieve eight key objectives in each area.
1. Curb global warming by every means available. This is an imperative of the first order.
2. Use clean energy like solar, wind, geothermal, and tidal sources, or biomass energy from plant-based materials, all of which can help significantly alleviate both the climate and energy crises.
3. Localize power sources in close proximity to end users in order to prevent significant energy loss through transmission over long distances.
4. Preserve arable lands. This anti-sprawl initiative is one of our greatest concerns, as land lost to development will never be returned.
5. Conserve clean water, including rainwater capture, evaporative technologies, and the reuse of gray water for non-potable purposes.
6. Detoxify air through indoor and outdoor plantings that recycle exhaled carbon dioxide into life-sustaining oxygen, and purify the atmosphere of airborne pollutants.
7. Reduce waste through recycling and reuse, and separating compostable matter. Adopting Nature as our model, wherein waste does not exist, our goal is to achieve zero waste. Such an undertaking is possible through coordinated management, applied technologies, and full-spectrum education programs that make clear the positive benefits (and also the negative consequences of non-compliance).
8. Localize food production, including aquaponics and fish ponds for fresher, better-tasting food, discontinue the use of chemical preservatives and refrigerants, and reduce the pollution and spoilage involved in long-distance shipping.
1. Maximize density and compactness for optimum efficiency in clustered ultra-tall towers.
2. Limit the project footprint to 15-minute walk ability from one end to the other.
3. Dedicate the main surface level to car-free pedestrian friendly use with easy access to shops, services and outdoor resources for recreation and enjoyment.
4. Confine passenger vehicles and deliveries to lower levels of a raised podium for increased safety, reduced pollution and surface congestion, and improved quality of life.
5. Locat utilities accessibly to facilitate secure access and minimal disruption during maintenance and repair.
6. Provide mass transit for clean, efficient access around the Vertical City, and intermodal links to outlying areas.
7. Link the towers with skylobbies for structural stability, convenience, increased efficiency, and security, and expanding opportunities for social interaction in a series of linked town squares in the air.
8. Use the latest high-performance technologies to optimize efficiency and sustainability.
1. Mix uses to meet essential needs for housing, employment, education, recreation, health care, and other services, optimizing the efficiency gains of centralized labor and consumption markets by doing away with long wasteful and polluting commutes between home and work.
2. Maximize the range of services and amenities to provide a lively mix of commercial, recreational, cultural, and educational opportunities, enriching individual life experience and ultimately resulting in an invested and creative society that takes full advantage of the unique opportunities afforded.
3. Foster diversity and social inclusiveness with wide-ranging choices in housing and recreation at various economic levels. There are no slums in the Vertical City; every resident will have a decent place to live securely and with dignity, promoting well-being and productivity and ultimately making the Vertical City a better place for everyone.
4. Maximize job opportunities and averting misemployment, which adds little to the common good, by merging economic and environmental concerns and providing green industries and jobs that will benefit the Vertical City and its greater environment.
5. Nurture democratic and accountable governance that integrates ecological imperatives in the decision making and legislative processes, recognizing that human values and environmental well-being are not unrelated to good business policies and economic growth.
6. Promote healthy lifestyles and individual human development by active engagement and exercise against obesity, heart disease, and other afflictions related to an overly sedentary existence.
7. Recognize differences in the social, economic, and ecological conditions of different cities and nations, allowing each to adapt our basic concepts to their particular needs while moving beyond past, often destructive, processes of economic growth and urbanization.
8. Challenge leadership in municipal and national governments to offer incentives that would encourage new ways of thinking and enable the sustainable development of new urban forms.
6. 在Vertical City周围提供干净高效的交通传输工具，并提供通往户外的联合运输方式。
3. 推动社会多样性及包容性。人们在Vertical City中享受到多种多样经济实惠的居住及休闲服务。这里没有贫民窟，每个人都有适合自己的住处，并保障安全，人性尊严，及健康的生活方式。
4. 增加工作岗位，防止“人不尽其用”。由于环保及经济概念的推行，大量与环境及绿色产业相关的工作岗位会出现。这也将优化Vertical City的环境。
5. 促进民主及有责任的政府管理的产生。Vertical City中的生态概念将促进统治阶级在制定决策及立法时以生态和环境为重，尊重人们的权益。而这也将对商务及经济起到促进作用。
7. 对不同城市及国家在社会，经济及生态方面的不同有所认识，并包容彼此通过自己的方式将Vertical City的基本理念融入到具体实践中。